Friday, October 8, 2010

My Feet

I just spent all day working like crazy at our yard sale. I've been on my feet most of the day and they hurt. I guess you could say that I have a heightened awareness of my feet right now, given the throbbing sensation that won't go away. So, thinking of my feet got me thinking about this....

There are some things in scripture that only make sense when you experience them. Cosmic spiritual truths are understood in the "everydayness" of life. (loosely quoted from our pastor) Here's the cosmic truth that has been taught to me through the "everydayness" of our yard sale today - I feel like my feet have been washed by those in our church.

From John 13:12-15 "When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you."

I just sat amazed today as I watched so many fellow members of our church work at our yard sale like ants on a crumb cake. It was amazing! I kept marveling at the amount of HARD work and hours these people were willing to devote to something that had absolutely no pay off for them personally. You could say that they were helping a "good cause", since the proceeds of the sale are going to our adoption, but it was way more than that. I could tell their hearts were in it. They wanted to be there. It was amazing! (Have I mentioned that?)

I really did sit there and think of how good it felt to have all these people serving us. It felt really good. I sat there, struggling to keep myself from feeling guilty that they were making such a sacrifice and I had no way to repay them. I thought about how it was like getting a really good foot rub. (Maybe because my feet hurt!) And, because I love a good segue.....

This is what Jesus is talking about when he commands his disciples to wash each other's feet just as he had done to them. I'm sure the disciples were struggling the same way I was today, thinking, "This shouldn't be happening. This is not a pleasant job and Jesus surely doesn't need to be the one to do it. I can't believe he's willing to do this."

But it really does feel good, and I think Jesus meant for it to. When my church family was serving us today it felt good because it was love. It was their love for Jesus, and their love for our family, and their love for our baby. One friend said, "I feel like we are bringing a baby into OUR family, not just your family."

I am unapologetic about the fact that I "plug" adoption on this blog. Can I just take this opportunity to "plug" the local church? People have a wide range of experiences regarding church. Of course, I can't speak about what I don't know in those cases. But, I do know what it is like to live our lives together with people who we love deeply and who love us deeply! It's not the reason we are a part of a church - that is because we worship Jesus as Lord and Savior. But I cannot describe to you what it is like to be surrounded by people who love Jesus more than themselves and extend that love to us. I hope that if you don't know what this is like that you will want to find out.

The church is known for a lot of things - good and bad. The Bible says that this is the way the church is to be known: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35

Thank you, City Fellowship, for loving us today! WE LOVE YOU!

P.S. We have already made over $1000, and the sale doesn't officially start until tomorrow morning!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I continually struggle with allowing others to serve me and with laying myself down to serve others...I continue to pray that God helps me to rid me of myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and did I mention that when HE answers that prayer, I forget I prayed it and complain and moan about "being taken advantaged of" or some other selfish attitude makes an appearance. Then, I am reminded of my prayer, I repent and we start over. Basically, its a vicious but slow cycle where I grow maybe half an inch each time...:)

    ReplyDelete