Thursday, August 8, 2013

What is your Name?

This was undoubtedly the most asked question of our trip.  I learned names and I gave names.  I'll explain....

If you read my post about the beautiful community spirit of Africa, I hope you found it familiar even though it is foreign.  "You are most welcome here" - that was in Sierra Leone, but I hope you have known community.  I hope you have been welcomed as family by someone other than your family.  I hope you have given yourself for the sake of others - community over individual.  I hope this for you because I have known community in this way and it is one of the greatest treasures of my life.  For real.  Sierra Leone felt like home because I had known community before I ever left this country.  This is a Christian concept.  If you are not a Christian you may have known this kind of community as well, but for Christians it is not optional.  We are the Body of Christ.

That's a word picture that the Bible uses to describe how Christians are to be together.  Body of Christ.  Members of One.  Pastor Daniel preached this message at church on the Sunday I was there.
This is a pretty pitiful photo, but I took it because I wanted to remember Pastor's word to us.  He had four children stand at the front, each holding a picture of a stick man.  Three of the four are holding a stick man's picture, but he is missing a part - his arm, his leg, his head.  The last picture was of a stick man that is complete.  He asked the children, "Which one do you like?" And they pointed to the last picture, of course.  He said, "You like that man because he is complete.  It is this way with us.  It is this way with TRS.  We are all a part of one body and we are all needed for the picture to be complete."

He gave another example.  He asked the children, "What must we have to make Groundnut Stew?"  (A common dish there.)  They listed the ingredients in chorus together, "peanuts, chicken, bullion, spice, etc"  He explained that every ingredient is needed or it's not Groundnut Stew.  He taught us that we each have a gift and that gift is meant to benefit the community, parts of a whole.  During the week, Pastor Daniel often referred to TRS as a team.  We all must work together.  And he called us a family.  One family that is spread over two continents.  Body. Stew. Team. Family.  I hope we are are all catching his drift.  The question was posed - what is your part?

He set the tone, as any good Pastor does.  It defined the way I proceeded into my experience that week.

Community over individual.  It has to be this way.  Time is short when there are children dying of malnutrition and preventable disease.  Or living without parents, without anyone.  There is no room for people to be fighting each other over their own value.  Everyone must fight together to protect and lift up the value of these children.  Community is at it's best when it is on mission.

When I met the TRS staff, I asked their names and I tried to remember.  But as I watched them function together I gave them other names, according to their part in the bigger picture.  I couldn't help it.  Pastor Daniel's message infiltrated my mind and I longed to search for each person's identity in the particular gift and assignment the Lord had given them in this mission.  It started with a man named Osseh, who I have given the name "Man of Peace."  I have an entire blog post in mind devoted to this Man of Peace that will explain the reason behind the name, but I'll bet those of you who know him already agree.   It just fits.

There are so many caregivers, and I made a special effort to learn the names of those who are caring for the little ones we sponsor.  But, generally caregivers are called Auntie and Uncle.  That is who they are to this mission.  Really everyone is called by this name because the children know that everyone is caring for them.  From the director to the cooks, cleaners, laundresses, teachers, social workers, sponsors..... to us!  We were all Aunties and Uncles.  I loved it!!  When the children tried to say "Auntie Angie" it really sounded like "Auntie, Auntie" - and so it seemed my name was always being called.  Then there was "Auntie Malaria"  ("Malaya") - bless their little African-English speaking hearts.  Surprisingly, they really loved "Auntie Malaria!"

Pastor, Man of Peace, Auntie, Uncle.... there's more....

I'm excited to introduce them each to you, by NAME.....

A little note:
Pastor Daniel made a request of our team at the farewell ceremony.  (I've included the video below if you would like to see for yourself.  He speaks very good English, but you'll have to use your African-English listening ears.)  He asks us to go back and tell the good news of TRS.  When he spoke to us that day, he threw in another word picture for good measure - we are each different sides of the same coin.  And, in America, our side of the coin has money.  The Sierra Leone side, not so much.  So, he asks for us to raise support because the money is needed.

And we said we would tell the story, and so I am.  Not just for the money, but also for the money.

You can donate to help pay the current lease renewal for The Covering HERE.  Or, you can go HERE to learn more about becoming an Auntie or Uncle yourself through sponsorship.  (Or contact me directly, because I'm trying to find more sponsors for the children we sponsor.  Little darlings that they are.)





No comments:

Post a Comment