Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Covering

I was told that there would be a recovery period after I got home from Sierra Leone, to process everything.  I expected that I might be a puddle of tears or get all stuck in my head.  But I think I have processed the poverty and devastation that I saw in the country of Sierra Leone by clutching onto the hope and restoration that I saw at The Covering.

This past Tuesday I went to the TRS blog and read from start to finish.  As in, the first post from September 6, 2009 all the way to the most recent post about the current 112 Reasons Campaign.  If you are looking for a good read, I suggest you go to the archive of the TRS blog and read this amazing story for yourself.  If you neglect your family, forego responsibilities, and keep your laptop plugged in, you can do it in one day!  (I would guesstimate.)  I read THIS from September 10, 2009, written two days before The Covering opened.  Two weeks ago I lived amongst answered prayers that were groaned out that day.

You know I am telling my story through NAMES.  Usually it will be a person's name, but today I'm starting with "The Covering."  I've said before, there could not be a more fitting name for this place.  It is a shelter for orphans, but is more than shelter and way beyond an orphanage.  It is a home.  It is a family.  And children are meant to grow up in a family.  Children are singing all the time.  Aunties and Uncles are caring, playing, holding, soothing, praying, nurturing, teaching, loving.  Love is poured over these kids - a constant flow of love.  It is ministry.  Yes, ministry to the kids, but also ministry OF the kids.  The vision of TRS is that these children will grow up learning to serve their neighbors, welcoming others as they have been welcomed, and knowing they have something to give.  So, they engage them in ministry within the walls of The Covering and beyond.  (Seriously.  I can hardly stand it!)  It is bright.  There is no electricity most nights, but it doesn't matter.  The spirit of this place is bright and beautiful.  Shine On!  What a perfect description for the impact these children make.  The children are the heartbeat of The Covering, for sure!

I'm sure I could find imperfections - TRS never claims to be perfect.  But, let me tell you what I saw that I did not expect and what impressed me the most.  The special needs kids at The Covering shine the brightest of all!!  They were not confined to their apartments, where it is probably a lot easier to care for their needs.  They were walking (or wheeling) about, playing with the other children, taking in the sunshine, worshipping at church with the rest of the family, clapping, laughing, smiling - always smiling!  Guess who else was smiling - their caregivers!  If you want an accurate measure of the way any childcare facility runs their place, find the special needs kids.  How are they treated?  How do the caregivers feel about caring for them?  They are the least of these - and they were loved as the most valuable.  "Whatever you do for the least of these, you do to me," said Jesus.

As I was marathon reading the TRS blog the other day, I read the intake stories of the children who are now home at The Covering and I COULD NOT believe what was their BEFORE. When I saw Sara's intake photo (below), I second guessed that it was really her, because I never saw this child without a smile on her face and arms reaching up to be held the entire time I was there.  I've included pictures and linked to the blog posts that tell their stories.  I hope you will join me in praising God for their AFTER.

The Covering is an amazing place.  These servants of God are covering these kids, and the presence of God is covering them all.  But, you should know that The Covering exists because of donations, and it cannot exist without donations.  If you're thinking - wait a minute, is this another person asking me to donate money?  Yup.  No apologies here.  Not when the return on this investment is so valuable.  There is a fundraising drive going on right now to raise the money needed to pay the 2 year lease on the building which is home to these children.  You will find everything you need to know about how to donate HERE.  Also, sponsorships are the main way this organization is funded, and a precious way to love these children directly.  You can find information about sponsorship HERE!

P.S.  I am expecting "a major award" (like Ralphie's old man) for the number of linky loo's contained in this post.  Not a small task for a techie dummy like me!

Sara's Story

 



This is the Sara I know and EVERYONE loves!


Moses and Lucy

Lucy's Story





































Doctors said Lucy would never walk.
Here sister is WALKING up to receive her Preschool diploma!  BOOM!

Maligie's Story







Maligie sat with Auntie Allie at church on Sunday and copied scripture from her journal.


Kaday with Stephanie on the day they found her.




Kaday learning to take a "selfie" with my camera.
Kaday and Stephanie, the week I was there.

Kadija's Story

 

Kadija would always take my hand and say to me,
"You are Malikie's sponsor.  Come.  Let's go find Malikie."





Festus dancin' with his peeps in the toddler room!

No comments:

Post a Comment