Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Child


I've only actually talked with Erica once.  It was the day after her family's car broke down and left all seven of them stranded in my smallish city with only one taxi available in the middle of the night.  Not cool, Jackson.  We didn't spend much time together, as you can imagine, since their day was filled with troubleshooting the car issue to get them back on the road again.  So, everything I know of Erica, I know from her writing, her best friend, and her mom.  Dangerous combination, right?

During my week in Africa, as I spent time finding NAMES for these servants of God, I wondered if I knew Erica well enough to give her the right name.  I mean, wouldn't it be pitiful if the name I assigned the founder of The Raining Season was a dud!  I was thinking something along the lines of Mother Theresa meets Sandra Bullock playing Leigh Anne Tuohy in The Blind Side.  You remember the scene where she goes into the Memphis 'hood and tells those kids they better not ever mess with her son because she's always packing heat?  I mean, Erica has never done anything like that (???) and wouldn't (???), but I've heard some stories that put me in mind of that character for some reason.  Anywhoo...

I happened to spend my week in Africa with Erica's mom, who provided the exact perspective I needed in order to find Erica's name....

Child.

Here's what I've always wondered.... How does this sweet, little white woman go to Africa, fight her way through an independent adoption, confront government officials and lead a humanitarian effort to rescue the most vulnerable children out of the most deplorable conditions, start an orphanage, and lay the foundation for a non profit organization that now employs 70+ people in Sierra Leone, cares for 112+ children, and continues to inspire and connect the hearts of people in America and Africa to save the orphan?  That's what I asked her mom.  Her answer...

She said yes.

She obeyed the voice of her Father.  That's what a child does.

Ironically, obedience wasn't one of Erica's top qualities as a young child.  (Ahem.)  She wasn't a bad child, but it doesn't sound like she was super compliant.  It seems that the Lord gifted Erica early on with the stubbornness and resolve He would later use to further His kingdom.  Little preschool Erica applied this lovely quality to further her time out sentences.  "You will sit here until you say you are sorry," results in a two hour time out.  (Sound familiar, Erica?  Sorry, your mama told on you!)

When I found Erica's name, I felt like I understood her much better.  It makes sense to see her as a child.  Childlike faith is simple - moving forward without asking next-step stifling questions.  Children are driven by the passions inside their hearts, not deterred by the distractions of self doubt and fear of man.  They live fully in the moment as they see it, not looking back with regret or forward with anxiety.

Or, rather, this is what life as a child is supposed to be.

I can see in Erica's story this childlike faith and trusting obedience.  But, I also see that she has carried the heavy burden of innocence lost.  She has seen, loved, held, fed, and buried precious children of Sierra Leone, whose childhoods have been stolen both figuratively and literally.  She has stared directly into the spirit of evil and injustice that has threatened to take more.  And, she's had enough.

That's when "two hour time out Erica" shows up and says, "NO MORE."

You cannot move a child who does not want to move.  If you are disagreeing with me right now it is because you have never had the humbling experience of trying to set a two year old on his feet when he does not want to stand.  It is somehow worth it to that child, in that moment, to put up his best fight.

To this child of God, THIS FIGHT is worth it.  Not necessarily because she plans to win.  That is the God fueled hope, of course - that every orphan would find a home.  And the fight will continue until that day....

But, the win is not what drives her to continue fighting.  I've read this so many times on the TRS blog and many have heard it spoken as the mission of TRS is shared...

They know that we know.  
Once you know you must act.  We cannot pretend that what we have seen does not exist, 
for if we do.... we become part of the problem.


I know that many people admire Erica for what she has done, but she would be the first to tell you that she hasn't done anything extraordinary.  She said yes.  She obeyed.  She followed.



And Jesus loved the children of Sierra Leone enough to lead her into their suffering.  So that she could KNOW.  And now WE know.  And we must do something.

You may be thinking, there's no way I'm going to go to nowhere Africa and do what Erica has done.

Well, my point is not to be like Erica.  My point is to be like a child.

Follow wherever the Father leads you.... into the suffering of the hurting soul next door, the single mom in your church, the student who is waaay behind in your child's class at school, the forgotten veteran at your local nursing home, the sibling group growing up in foster care, the parents who are raising a special needs child.... or maybe it IS the orphan across the globe.  Wherever the Father leads, just say yes.

BONUS FEATURES!!
(Everyone loves the bonus features, right?)

1)  You can read in more detail how Jesus wrecked Erica's life and birthed The Raining Season HERE.

2)  Erica wasn't alone!  Jesus never wrecks just one person's life when He moves in to redeem the lives of many others.  There was an initial group of people, all of whom unfortunately I do not know, who followed Jesus AS children to lead a fight FOR the children of Sierra Leone.  Her story here is representative of all of their stories, not the least of which was Erica's husband and children, closest friends and family.

I ran across THIS VIDEO in the TRS blog archive that beautifully tells the story of that initial trip through photographs.  Apparently, these folks joined "two hour time out Erica" in Africa and had their own little six week "time out" (i.e. we will not give up) on that initial trip.  Watch it.  Trust me - it is SO worth your time!

3)  These are some of my favorite stories from the front lines in the early days.  (taken from the TRS blog.... Man, I hope I don't get in trouble for all my blog thievery.)
I'll Round Up All Your Scattered Children    
New Definition to Add to the Word ORPHAN
WOW What a Night!
TRS in the Local Freetown Newspaper
A Little...no BIG Shout for Joy! (A little later on the scene, but exciting nonetheless)
   

1 comment: