Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Need is All Around Us"

A few weeks ago I referenced a blog post by Suzanne Mayernick, in which she discusses what constitutes a "real" orphan. The discussion really centers more around where the most urgent need is, with regards to orphans, and is there such a thing as adoption that is not addressing "real needs." I would say no. For sure. Every child needs a family and permanent home.

But one brave reader of Suzanne's blog stepped out and shed, what I believe, is VERY important light. Here is her comment (copied directly from the blog):

"Need is all around us. However, where I DON'T believe there is a need and where I think people are missing it is the people who line up for YEARS AND YEARS for a HEALTHY WHITE INFANT."

That's a pretty bold statement, don't ya think? But I think there is something right about what she said. I don't hear her saying that those who adopt a healthy white infant have not met a need. I know many of you who were adopted as "healthy white infants" would agree that your parents met a need. Rather, I think what she is saying is this - there is a SURPLUS of couples who are eager to meet that need. At the same time, there is SHORTAGE of couples who are willing to adopt a child who is older, of another race, has special needs, or is currently in foster care. I think this is something worth considering.

God will always place the right child with the right family. That I know. I also know that the Lord is moving in the hearts of Christ followers to run toward the need of those children who are neglected, even in the world of adoption. Jesus himself sought out those people who were overlooked and even cast out by others. If we are truly his followers, we will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment